Oregon Metals Industry Roundtables
Please save the date for the 2nd Metals Industry Roundtable:
September. 22, 2021, at 10:00 – 11:30 am PT
TOPIC: Updating your Toxic Use and Hazardous Waste Reduction (TUHWR) Plan or EMS
This roundtable will provide info on how to get the most from your Toxic Use and Hazardous Waste Reduction (TUHWR) plan. Review basics of the plan and benefits from updating your plan. Interactive worksheets and examples will make it easy to update.
- Industry Presentation: Boeing, John Rusoff | Hear how Boeing approaches toxics use reductions and how they use ISO 14001 to go above TUHWR requirements.
- Open Q&A
- TUHWR Plan Workshop: Oregon DEQ
Oregon metal shops, finishers, and manufacturers are invited to join your peers in a series of free, voluntary, non-regulatory industry roundtables to identify, share, and get technical assistance for best practices in reducing chemical hazards. Roundtables include presentation(s) and networking.
This is an opportunity to collaborate with your peers to prevent the use of toxic chemicals, create a safer workplace and community, reduce regulatory obligations and operating costs, and integrate green chemistry and engineering concepts.
The metals industry of Oregon cares about preventing pollution, safety of its workers and community, and saving money – all of which can be accomplished by switching to safer chemicals!
An Oregon DEQ Metals Manufacturing & Finishing survey in 2019 found that 76% of Metal Industry respondents have at times used a safer/less toxic chemical substitute. Additionally, the survey showed that 72% of respondents are extremely familiar with the hazards associated with the chemicals you currently use.
The first Roundtable occurred May 12, 2021. Recorded presentations are linked below. The September Roundtable will be recorded and posted below. Contact Brittney Wendell email@example.com to be added to announcements for future Roundtables.
|May 12, 2021||Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing, Katy Wolf, Ph.D|
Process Reduction of Zinc Reduces Stormwater Loading, Scott Stewart, Blount International (Start at 43:00 minutes)
|September 22, 2021||Updating your Toxic Use and Hazardous Waste Reduction (TUHWR) Plan or EMS for Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. Review basics of the plan and benefits from updating your plan. Interactive worksheets and examples will make it easy to update|
Pollution Prevention Literature and Resources for Metal Industries
- Metals Industry P2 Case Study Database: Summaries, Results, and Links
- Alternative Compliance Strategies for Open Top Vapor Degreasers under a Prohibition of Trichloroethylene (Wolf, 2016. Institute of Research & Technical Assistance, for Abt Associates)
- Rinsing Manual: Your Guide to Cleaner Parts with Less Water & Waste (Surface Technology Environmental Resource Center, STERC)
- P2 Research and Implementation for Michigan Metal Finishers (Webinar Slides, STERC, EPA, 5/27/20)
- Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing (Webinar Slides, Wolf, 12/15/20).
- Advancing Green Chemistry in Metal Finishing Operations (Webinar Slides, Rodas, City of Los Angeles Source Reduction Program, 12/15/20)
- How Well do Less Toxic Chemical Strippers Perform on Automotive Coatings? (Actual Tests Conducted with Non-Methylene and Non-NMP Paint Strippers)