Oregon Metals Industry Roundtables
The metals industry of Oregon cares about preventing pollution, safety of its workers and community, and saving money – all of which can be accomplished by switching to safer chemicals!
A DEQ Metals Manufacturing & Finishing survey in 2019 found that 76% of Metal Industry respondents have at times used a safer/less toxic chemical substitute. Additionally, the survey showed that 72% of respondents are extremely familiar with the hazards associated with the chemicals you currently use.
You are invited to join your peers in metal manufacturing and finishing for six free, voluntary, non-regulatory industry roundtables to identify, share, and get technical assistance for best practices in reducing chemical hazards. This is an opportunity to collaborate with your peers to prevent the use of toxic chemicals, create a safer workplace and community, reduce regulatory obligations and operating costs, and integrate green chemistry and engineering concepts.
First Roundtable: May 12, 2021
|Time:||10:00 am to 11:30 am|
|Location:||Online via Zoom|
|10:00 am||Introductions and Goals|
|10:05 am||Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing (Katy Wolf, Ph.D)|
|10:45 am||Process Reductions of Zinc Reduces Stormwater Loading (Blount International)|
|11:00 am||Open Q&A|
|11:05 am||Facilitated Roundtable Discussion with Peers|
|11:25 am||Wrap Up|
Technical Presentations: Roundtable 1
Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing
Dr. Katy Wolf consults on safer solvent alternatives, working directly with many metal manufacturers/fabricators to conduct field testing. She has identified viable, cost-effective, safer alternatives and helped manufacturers effectively implement these alternatives. Dr. Wolf has more than 30 years’ experience working in this field. She is currently consulting for the Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center (PPRC). Previously, she was the Director of the Institute for Research and Technical Assistance (IRTA). Prior to that, she was a researcher at the Rand Corporation. Her projects include applying emerging and advanced technologies and helping companies implement safer solvent alternatives for cleaning, dry cleaning, electronics, paint stripping, coatings, lubricants, paint thinners, and adhesives. Dr. Wolf has authored more than 200 publications and has a Ph.D. in Chemical Physics.
Process Reductions of Zinc Reduces Stormwater Loading
Blount International, an Oregon company, manufacturers chain saws and other cutting tools. They recently reduced significant amounts of zinc from their process, positively impacting their stormwater discharge. Scott Stewart, Environmental Engineer, will share how he discovered and implemented this P2 opportunity.
Contact Brittney Wendell firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
|September 2021, 10:00 – 11:30 am||TBD|
|November 2021, 10:00 – 11:30 am||TBD|
|February 2022, 10:00 – 11:30 am||TBD|
|April 2022, 10:00 – 11:30 am||TBD|
|September 2022, 10:00 – 11:30 am||TBD|
Pollution Prevention Literature and Resources for Metal Industries
- Metals Industry P2 Case Study Database: Summaries, Results, and Links
- Alternative Compliance Strategies for Open Top Vapor Degreasers under a Prohibition of Trichloroethylene (Wolf, 2016. Institute of Research & Technical Assistance, for Abt Associates)
- Rinsing Manual: Your Guide to Cleaner Parts with Less Water & Waste (Surface Technology Environmental Resource Center, STERC)
- P2 Research and Implementation for Michigan Metal Finishers (Webinar Slides, STERC, EPA, 5/27/20)
- Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing (Webinar Slides, Wolf, 12/15/20).
- Advancing Green Chemistry in Metal Finishing Operations (Webinar Slides, Rodas, City of Los Angeles Source Reduction Program, 12/15/20)
- How Well do Less Toxic Chemical Strippers Perform on Automotive Coatings? (Actual Tests Conducted with Non-Methylene and Non-NMP Paint Strippers)