Oregon Metals Industry Roundtables
Oregon DEQ and PPRC Present the
Oregon Metals Industry Roundtable
Oregon metal shops, finishers, and manufacturers are invited to join your peers in a series of free, voluntary, non-regulatory industry roundtables to identify, share, and get technical assistance for best practices in reducing chemical hazards. Roundtables include presentation(s) and networking.
This is an opportunity to collaborate with your peers to prevent the use of toxic chemicals, create a safer workplace and community, reduce regulatory obligations and operating costs, and integrate green chemistry and engineering concepts.
The metals industry of Oregon cares about preventing pollution, safety of its workers and community, and saving money – all of which can be accomplished by switching to safer chemicals. An Oregon DEQ Metals Manufacturing & Finishing survey in 2019 found that 76% of metal industry respondents have at times used a safer/less toxic chemical substitute. Additionally, the survey showed that 72% of respondents are extremely familiar with the hazards associated with chemicals in current use at their facility.
The first Roundtable occurred May 12, 2021. Topics and recorded presentations are linked below.
The second Roundtable occurred September 22, 2021. Topics and presentation slides are linked below.
The third Roundtable is planned for early 2022. Contact Brittney Wendell firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to announcements for future Roundtables.
Roundtable Dates and Topics
|May 12, 2021||Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing. Presenter: Katy Wolf, Ph.D|
|Industry Presentation: Process Reduction of Zinc Reduces Stormwater Loading. Presenter: Scott Stewart, Blount International (Starts at 43:00 minutes)|
|September 22, 2021||Getting the Most from your Toxic Use and Hazardous Waste Reduction (TUHWR) Plan. Presenter: Alex Bertolucci, Oregon DEQ (Review of plan basics and benefits of updating. Interactive worksheets and examples provided).|
|Industry Presentation: Boeing Portland Toxic Use Reduction and Hazardous Waste Journey. Presenter: John Rusoff, Boeing Portland.|
Pollution Prevention Literature and Resources for Metal Industries
- Alternatives to n-Propyl Bromide in Cleaning Applications (Wolf, 2021)
- Metals Industry P2 Case Study Database: Summaries, Results, and Links
- Alternative Compliance Strategies for Open Top Vapor Degreasers under a Prohibition of Trichloroethylene (Wolf, 2016. Institute of Research & Technical Assistance, for Abt Associates)
- Rinsing Manual: Your Guide to Cleaner Parts with Less Water & Waste (Surface Technology Environmental Resource Center, STERC)
- P2 Research and Implementation for Michigan Metal Finishers (Webinar Slides, STERC, EPA, 5/27/20)
- Safer Alternatives to Vapor Degreasing (Webinar Slides, Wolf, 12/15/20).
- Advancing Green Chemistry in Metal Finishing Operations (Webinar Slides, Rodas, City of Los Angeles Source Reduction Program, 12/15/20)
- How Well do Less Toxic Chemical Strippers Perform on Automotive Coatings? (Actual Tests Conducted with Non-Methylene and Non-NMP Paint Strippers)