Safer Alternatives for Auto Body and Repair Shops
Paints and cleaners used in auto body and repair shops can be dangerous to your health and to the environment. It is important for owners and technicians in an automotive repair shop to be aware of the health dangers of the products they’re using as well as the viable options that exist for functional safer alternatives.
PPRC is currently supporting local and statewide efforts to improve the health and environmental impact of the autobody industry. In collaboration with the Department of Ecology and King County, PPRC is providing Spray Efficiency Trainings as well as outreach to regional auto body facilities promoting the transition from solvent-based to cleaner, safer water-based coatings.
PPRC has developed numerous easy-to-use resources to help car technicians navigate the common chemicals found in a repair shop. The resources developed were designed to help the Do-It-Yourselfers (DIYers) as well as industry professionals. The resources developed were:
- Solvent Safety Hierarchy – A hierarchy of chemicals that are commonly found in brake and degreasing cleaners informing you of their hazardous effects on human health and the environment.
- BMPs Parts Cleaners – A factsheet that provides information on best management practices of parts cleaners (aka parts washers) as it relates to preparation, operations, and disposal of solvent in the washer.
- Parts Washers Comparison – Includes information on the advantages and disadvantages of different types of parts cleaners.
- Floor Cleanup – Includes information on best management practices in floor cleanup and compliance rules and regulations in the state of Washington.
- Antifreeze Choices – A factsheet describing how to minimize the effects of antifreeze as it pertains to human health and the environment.
2. Webinar – Safer Alternatives in the Auto Repair Industry
This webinar includes 4 presenters: 1) City of Seattle, 2) Seattle City Light, and 3) Swedish Automotive, and 4) WA Department of Ecology. The webinar focuses on best management practices of a shop, safer alternatives, compliance, and how to green your shop.
This training curriculum focuses on helping automotive owners and technicians learn about safer alternatives, best management practices in a repair shop, and how to green your operations. The module includes voice-over and video to enhance learning, however this means a large download and lengthy download time. Once downloaded the module will start automatically.