PPRC offers a series of tools to help businesses in their quest to gauge, understand, and reduce pollution while also saving money. Tools include:
- Facility Checklists: Good starts to assessing your organization’s environmental performance.
- Safer Chemical Assessment Tools: How can you make products safer, better?
- Useful Pollution Prevention Calculators: Assess your impacts so you can improve them.
Manufacturing Facility Environmental Checklist
PPRC, with input from Washington State Department of Ecology’s Lean and Green Business Assistance program and Impact Washington, developed a Facility Checklist for manufacturing businesses to reference during a facility walk-through. The checklist helps businesses identify potential pollution prevention issues and opportunities by prompting visual, auditory, and olfactory assessments. Questions apply generally to any industrial plant and not to a specific industry. The list covers the following facets of manufacturing:
- Energy Use
- Fuel Use
- Steam Systems
- Water Use
- Wastewater Generation
- Emissions and Air Quality
- Hazardous Materials and Chemicals: Inventory and Use
- Hazardous Waste – Generation, Accumulation, and Storage
Sustainable Packaging Checklist
In partnership with Cascadia Packaging Group, PPRC developed a Walkthrough Packaging Checklist to identify opportunities to improve sustainability of packaging activities and materials. The questions apply generally to any industrial plant and not to a specific industry. The checklist helps uncover opportunities to improve packaging by prompting visual, auditory, and olfactory observations. The following facets of packaging are covered:
- Packaging Logistics and Shipping
Safer Chemical Assessment Tools
Adopting safer chemical alternatives poses a number of challenges to businesses, but the first step is to identify possible chemical alternatives and assess their comparative hazards. PPRC is partnering with the Washington Department of Ecology to pilot tools for chemical hazard assessment:
For more information, visit our full page on Safer Chemical Assessment.
Pollution Prevention Calculators
Greenhouse Gas and Cost Savings Tools
- P2 GHG Calculator: The P2 GHG Calculator calculates GHG emission reductions from electricity conservation, green energy, fuel and chemical substitutions with lower GHG-intensities, water conservation, and improved materials and process management in the chemical manufacturing sector. This tool will assist program participants submit higher-quality data for the program measure, and demonstrates the unique multi-media perspective that P2 brings to reduce (MTCO2e) metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent.
- P2 Cost Calculator: The P2 Cost Calculator calculates cost savings associated with reduced costs for hazardous inputs in a facility process, reduced costs for handling hazardous waste, reductions in annual air permitting fees that are based on actual emissions, reduced water discharge treatment costs based on gallons discharged, reduced charges for water usage, reduced fuel costs, and reduced costs for electricity. Understanding potential cost savings presents a big incentive for businesses considering pollution prevention actions.
- Gallons to Pounds Converter: Designed to provide conversions from units commonly encountered in business to units for P2 Program measures. It is not uncommon for hazardous materials to be measured in gallons for business purposes – gallons of paint and gallons of waste water, for example. For program purposes, all of these gallon measures need to be converted to pounds of hazardous materials.
Other Useful Tools (Coming Soon…)
We are compiling a list of other tools that may be useful in assessing pollution prevention actions: