Solar is an increasingly viable option for homeowners and businesses that want to save in the long term on electricity bills while also having a positive environmental impact. Solarize Bellevue is a neighborhood solar purchasing campaign that provides residents and businesses with reduced cost, headache-free solar installations on their homes, businesses, or multi-family units.
By organizing a group purchase, or “bulk buy,” the campaign aims to help Bellevue residents and businesses achieve an affordable and successful solar installation. This type of program has been widely successful across regions including Seattle, Snohomish County, and more broadly on a national scale, from Portland to New York – with savings as much as 20% on average when compared to acquiring solar systems independently.
The first round of the Solarize Bellevue campaign was a tremendous success. Over 50 new systems were installed on Bellevue residencies and businesses. The first campaign was so successful that the city has opted to push forward with a Solarize Bellevue 2.0, a second round of solar installations beginning in the summer of 2015 and continuing into 2016. For more information about the success of 1.0, and updates on 2.0, visit the City of Bellevue’s sustainability website, GreenWA.org.
For the second round of installations, the contractor selection committee has selected A&R Solar. A certified B Corp, A&R Solar meets high standards of social and environmental performance. In addition to being an employee owned company, A&R Solar sources local and sustainably produced materials.
PPRC is proud to partner with City of Bellevue , NW Seed and Solarize Washington in organizing a group purchase of panels and installation for Bellevue residents. As part of securing the right solar deal, we are providing organizational and informational support to the Bellevue community throughout the campaign.
Community workshops will be held in July, August, and September of 2015. Workshops provide interested parties with all the information they need about the costs and long-term benefits of installing solar power.
Upcoming Workshop Schedule:
- Workshop 1 - Tuesday, July 21, Bellevue City Hall Council Chambers, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Register here!
- Workshop 2 - Saturday, August 15, South Bellevue Community Center, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Register here!
- Workshop 3 - Tuesday, September 1, Northwest Arts Center Studio D, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. pm. Register here
- Workshop 4 - Thursday, September 24, Highland Community Center Multipurpose Room, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Register here!
If you’re interested in getting involved in this campaign, registration information is available on the Green WA website.
In The News
- August, 2014 - “Lake to Lake,” a Bellevue show that specializes in local city news, covers the Solarize Bellevue campaign. Check out Paula Del Giudice’s plug for the campaign in the video below. The campaign is gaining momentum. Workshops for interested participants have been packed rooms buzzing with excitement for solarizing Bellevue homes and businesses.