Green Sports at the White HouseJuly 24, 2012
Sports and Sustainability Forum: A White House discussion with the Sports Industry
Last week, the White House held a discussion to celebrate the sports industry’s innovative success in adopting more sustainable practices. The half-day even focused on the economic and environmental benefits of greening the sports industry, featuring senior Administration officials and three discussion panels, from league, team, and supply chain perspectives.
Watch the three-part video series:
Agenda & Panelists
Intro: Jon Carson, Director, Office of Public Engagement
Welcoming Remarks: Lisa Jackson, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
Panel 1: Leaders of League Sustainability – A high-level conversation bringing together some of the most influential innovators in the sports greening movement.
- Jon Powers, Federal Environmental Executive
- Allen Hershkowitz, Ph.D., Director, NRDC Sports Greening Project
- Robert Nutting, Owner and Chairman of the Board, Pittsburg Pirates
- Mike Richter, Former NY Rangers Goalie & Partner, Environment Capital Partners
- Mike Lynch, Managing Director, NASCAR Green Innovation
Panel 2: Hall of Fame Green Stadiums – Representatives from some of the most ecologically impressive professional teams and facilities in the U.S. sports industry will provide on-the-ground examples of their successes and challenges.
- Dave Danielson, Assistant Secretary for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy at the U.S. Department of Energy
- Martin Tull, Director, Green Sports Alliance
- Leonard Bonacci, Vice President of Event Operations, Philadelphia Eagles
- Joe Abernathy, Vice President of Operations, Busch Stadium
- Scott Jenkins, Chairman of the Board of the Green Sports Alliance & VP of Operations, Safeco Field
- Justin Zeulner, Director of Sustainability and Planning, Portland Trail Blazers/Rose Quarter
- Jackie Ventura, Operations Coordinator, American Airlines Arena
Panel 3: Champions of Supply Chain Innovation – A supply chain-focused panel with vendor and sponsor representatives from the sports market utilizing their purchasing power to leverage innovative and sustainable technologies.
- Dennis McLerran, Regional Administrator, EPA Region 10
- Tom Carpenter, Director Public Affairs, Waste Management Sustainability Services at Waste Management, Inc
- Mary Anne Libbiscombe,Director of Marketing, Coca Cola Recycling
- Drew Patey, Director, of Safety-Kleen Motorsports, Safety-Kleen
Closing Remarks: Ovie Mughelli, Pro-Bowl NFL Fullback, Founder, the Ovie Mughelli Foundation